Saturday, May 7, 2011

Meditation

The only way to reach a higher state of awareness, that I know of, is through some form of meditation. My understanding of how meditation creates expanded awareness is by integrating the right and left hemispheres of our brain. They have separate functions; the left side is linear, verbal, and all about us as a separate person functioning in the world, whereas the right side is streaming consciousness--collecting all the sensory information. The left side holds us as separate, the right, connected to everything. Most of us in  western countries are completely dominated by the left side of our brain. This gets us to an appointment on time, but not necessarily happy. Being present to whatever is happening in the moment (through the right side of our brain) allows happiness to bubble up--unconcerned about schedules and deadlines. When the left and right side of our brain are fully integrated we can function in the world without stress or strain, even when we're in challenging situations, because we know how to respond skillfully to each new circumstance as it arises.

I've been meditating for about twenty five years, and I know my awareness is much greater than it was when I began. Still, I have my stuck places. I consider the three areas I want to improve stuck places. I'm not entirely happy with the status quo, but I don't take any new action. I'm being passive. This is what I want to shine a light on and I have a new tool. It's called Holosync, which is a CD that creates integration through the use of tones. You have to listen to the CD with a stereo headset or else it won't work. I've been using this CD for about 2 months and I'm noticing some change--a dropping away of behavior patterns that don't serve me. This is kind of exciting even though I'm aware of inner resistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment