Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Lessons

When I purchased the Holosync CD it came with an on-line course called, "Master Your Emotions, Master Your Life". I had immediate access to the course while I had to wait awhile for the CD to arrive. Since I like this type of information I started right in, mostly out of curiosity. I really didn't expect to learn anything new since I have a Masters in Counseling Psychology and I've been meditating for a long time. Well, I was surprised to learn quite a lot. There are four lessons in the course and so far I've completed three. The first lesson is about internal representations (the story we tell ourselves when an event occurs), the second, aspects of ourself we disown (our shadow side), and the third lesson is about unconscious beliefs. It's not that any of this is new information to me, but I learned something about what I was doing in those three areas. In short, I gained more awareness, giving me more choice.

Here's an example: I already know I give meaning to everything in my life and that often it has nothing to do with reality. I also know if I'm feeling bad about something, I'm thinking unhappy thoughts. What lesson one pointed out was that anytime I feel anything distressing, I'm focusing on what I don't want and that the distress is my resistance to the situation as it is. By shifting my focus to what I do want, unpleasant emotions dissipate. Even this wasn't an entirely new piece of information, but I started paying attention to what I was feeling and what I was focusing on, and sure enough, I was focusing on what I didn't want. That, of course, brings up the question, what do I want? It turns out I always want to be peaceful and at ease with things just as they are, even as I work toward something else I might want. This is quite an insight for me and I realized it's not that hard to choose peace and ease. Why not? It feels better.

No comments:

Post a Comment